Contact us

Contact us by phone at: 713-931-1111 or (toll free) 844-931-3111.

You can also send an email to or fill in the form below.

All fields are required.

Check out our privacy policy page to learn how this data is used.

What do I do if I am partly at fault for the accident?

Accidents can be very complex matters and are often caused by the fault of more than one person. If you are involved in an accident and believe you may be partially at fault, you may still be entitled to compensation.

Since every case is different, and there is usually blame and responsibility to share, each state has adopted its own set of laws for where more than one party is to blame. The state of Texas follows a Modified Comparative Fault Rule. What this means is that if you are 50% or less at fault, you can still recover for your injuries.

If you are found to be partially at fault for your injuries, your recovery may be reduced by your degree of responsibility for the accident. For example, if you were awarded $100,000 in damages by a Court but were found to be 25% at fault, your damages would be reduced by 25% and you would still be eligible to recover $75,000.

Regardless of whether you feel you may be partially responsible for an accident, you should call a personal injury accident attorney before admitting anything to the other side. The personal injury lawyers at the Stilwell Law Firm are extremely experienced with comparative fault matters. Please call us today for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your claims.